Sunday, September 22, 2019

I Can't Help Falling in Love With You...

If you have ever experienced grief, and most people have, you know that it hits at very odd times.
I was sitting in a restaurant completing an inspection.  It was a very tiny Sushi restaurant, run by very sweet Asian folks.  The Elvis song, "I Can't Help Falling in Love With You" plays.  Overhead.  Right in my ears. Elvis. Sigh.  Daryl loved Elvis almost as much as he loved me.  First a little trickle of a tear.  Then two long trickles.  Then quiet sobs.  There were no customers in the tiny restaurant...just three very sweet young Asians who ran the place.  No matter how hard I tried to hide it, they figured it out.  One guy quietly brought me a sturdy napkin and walked a way.  Those sweet kids let me blow my nose, finish my report, and walk out without having to explain it all.  I did let them know the basics.  They smiled, and let it go.


No comments:

Post a Comment